Taurus has developed many procedural systems to protect the dogs in our care.
Please read the policies below.
Dogs are by nature unpredictable and present a certain level of risk. Every dog reacts differently in different situations, and there are inherent risks involved in owning, training, and handling dogs. There are also risks in dogs participating in daycare, boarding or training, including but not limited to: injuries to people, animals and property, and the transmission of disease.
Taurus Pack Members are carefully trained to identify and prevent consequences that may result from dogs participating in playgroups and staying in our high-energy environments; however, some may still result that are important for owners to understand:
- We require that all dogs attend an “evaluation day” of daycare before signing up for play days or making a boarding reservation. It is very important to Taurus that all dogs in our care are happy and relaxed in our stimulating environment, and that they have the expectation of Mom or Dad coming for them to reduce anxiety. Should a dog not be a good fit with our facilities, we will recommend alternatives. Your dog’s comfort and happiness are our first priority.
- Dogs may experience sore muscles, joints, and fatigue if they are not used to the high level of physical activity at Taurus.
- Dogs who are not well-socialized may be at greater risk of not knowing how to politely interact with other dogs, and are at higher risk of altercations with other dogs.
- Dogs have access to water at all times at Taurus; however, dogs may seem thirsty when they arrive home. This is either because they were too busy playing to drink, or because drinking water is for most dogs a “pack” activity resulting from the excitement of being home again. Owners need to understand that it is important to limit the gulping of water at home after play as stomach upset or bloat may result.
- Dogs get dirty when they play. Long-haired dogs may become matted, and any dog may become dirty during their stay at Taurus. Baths and/or brushing are available at an additional charge.
Taurus Pack Members are carefully trained to prevent and identify health issues associated with boarding and day care; however, we are not veterinarians and will not be liable for the treatment or diagnosis of any injury or health condition with which a dog enters a Taurus facility or contracts while staying with Taurus.
- All dogs must have current vaccinations, including Rabies, Distemper, Parvovirus, Bordetella, and Canine Influenza Virus (both H3N8 and H3N2). In most cases we honor your veterinarian’s vaccination protocol.
- If your dog requires medical attention, our first choice is to take your dog to your own vet. If this is not possible, we will make sure your dog gets the highest quality care possible in the shortest amount of time. All medical charges that we incur are due when you pick up your dog.
- Titer test results are accepted with a note of approval by your veterinarian.
- Dogs may get stomach upset or diarrhea when food is changed suddenly. Taurus feeds Purina Proplan Veterinary diet. If you have Taurus feed our food to your dog, we are happy to send some of our food home with instructions on how to prevent stomach issues after boarding.
- Dogs must be on a topical flea preventative. If fleas, ticks or other parasites are present on your dog, s/he will be treated at your expense.
- Bordetella: The upper respiratory condition known as “canine cough” or “kennel cough” is caused by a bacteria and a virus. The virus mutates, just as does the flu virus in humans, and the vaccination is not 100% effective against canine cough. Canine cough is a risk associated with boarding, daycare, and anywhere dogs congregate.
- All dogs must be spayed/neutered over 14 months of age, unless waived by the Facility Director. Taurus has been an all spayed/neutered facility since 1994.
- Taurus rarely accepts new dogs over 12 years of age, as our environment tends to be a bit too stimulating for older dogs.
- If a Taurus employee notices a serious change in the health or behavior status of your dog, we will do our best to notify you. If we feel medical attention is necessary, we will take steps to get medical attention as soon as possible. If Taurus believes something to be relatively minor (allergies, scratches, etc.), we will notify you upon pick-up. We look over every single dog every day; however, we cannot guarantee we will find everything in a rough-and-tumble environment.
Our safety policies are designed to protect the dogs in our care from the moment they enter Taurus property. Your understanding and compliance with these policies is appreciated- even if you believe your dog doesn’t need the protection of these policies, dog behavior is unpredictable, and overall compliance is important for overall community security.
- Your dog must be on a leash at all times on Taurus property. Confinement in a crate is acceptable for small dogs, but being carried in your arms is not. We have kennel leads available if you forget your leash.
- We only allow the safest bones and chews- nylabones and Kongs. Please do not bring anything else for your dog. We sterilize everything every day, so your chew will likely be ruined or lost.
- Toys are not allowed in the runs or yards, as they can be choking hazards, and can lead to protective/possessive behavior that can escalate into an altercation. The dogs would much rather play with each other than objects anyway!
- Allow us to provide bedding for your dog. We have thick fleece blankets for all dogs, and thicker beds for older, arthritic dogs. Bedding brought from home will be washed, bleached, and potentially lost.
- Dogs should have a collar with an identification tag. Please be advised, however, that collars can be misplaced when removed for baths, playtime, training or other activities. Collars can also be considered chew-toys by other dogs.
Policies are valid at all Taurus locations unless otherwise specified.
- We require a deposit for holiday boarding stays (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years). This deposit will be applied to your boarding charges and is refundable if you cancel your reservation at least 30 days prior to your scheduled drop off date.
- All fees for boarding and related services are due upon pickup. Payment plans are available for some training services. Unpaid balances are subject to a collections process and fees.
- Boarding charges are by the night. Should you pick up from boarding after 12:00pm, you will incur a daycare charge for that day.
- All daycare is prepaid by automatic payment through your credit card. (Contracted Daycare Only)
- A cancellation fee equal to three months of your daycare contract will apply if you terminate your contract. This fee will be waived if Taurus can fill that spot with another dog, at which time your money will be refunded at a prorated amount from when the new dog fills the spot. (Contracted Daycare Only)
Please email or call the facility of your choice for reservations. Note that all dogs at Taurus must undergo an evaluation day of daycare before training, boarding, or more daycare, to ensure the most positive experience possible.